GPS Units

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Didado

Re: GPS Units

Post by Didado » Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:44 am
If I had an Android device, I'd try the Locus Pro App, which even offers weather forecast (possibly within the map?).
For weather I use 'real' weather apps :-)

My point being a smartphone offers apps for everything. So I have an app for following tracks, an app for routing with voice guidance and real time traffic and an app for... The moment the app does it all, they become cluttered and overcomplicated. Different folks, different strokes :-)

That makes smartphones great as nav devices. You pick whatever app works for you.
0 x
bobtail

Post by bobtail » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 am

Here's my two cents:

My Garmin GPSMAP60 csx is an old but good device, but it is not compatible with the TET gpx. The reason for that is that it can only hold tracks with 500 points.

After transferring the .gpx file you can see the TET track on the map but the device has reduced the track from over 12.000 points (for the Belgian TET) to 500. This means the track lacks detail and is basically just a bunch of straight lines connecting 500 points between the start & finish. This makes it basically useless.

I ended up using ducktape and Velcro straps to attach my iPhone on to the Garmin and used the Motion-X GPS app, which worked perfectly. Reducing screen brightness and switching to airplane mode drastically reduced battery consumption.

The best solution to me therefore seems to use a dedicated smartphone as navigation device. It's possible to get a (2nd hand / refurbished) "rugged" Android for around 150EUR from CAT or various Chinese brands (Ulefone Armor X, Blackview BV7000, etc ...). I wouldn't put all my trust in them in Outer Mongolia, but for the TET they should be fine.

iPhones are superior smartphones, but the batteries are smaller and they require special casing to protect from water & dust. Older refurbished models are available for much less than Garmin GPS devices.

Moral of the story: Make sure you know your GPS device well, TEST it, always carry ducktape and a backup plan.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:09 am

bobtail wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 am
Here's my two cents:

My Garmin GPSMAP60 csx is an old but good device, but it is not compatible with the TET gpx. The reason for that is that it can only hold tracks with 500 points.

After transferring the .gpx file you can see the TET track on the map but the device has reduced the track from over 12.000 points (for the Belgian TET) to 500. This means the track lacks detail and is basically just a bunch of straight lines connecting 500 points between the start & finish. This makes it basically useless.

I ended up using ducktape and Velcro straps to attach my iPhone on to the Garmin and used the Motion-X GPS app, which worked perfectly. Reducing screen brightness and switching to airplane mode drastically reduced battery consumption.

The best solution to me therefore seems to use a dedicated smartphone as navigation device. It's possible to get a (2nd hand / refurbished) "rugged" Android for around 150EUR from CAT or various Chinese brands (Ulefone Armor X, Blackview BV7000, etc ...). I wouldn't put all my trust in them in Outer Mongolia, but for the TET they should be fine.

iPhones are superior smartphones, but the batteries are smaller and they require special casing to protect from water & dust. Older refurbished models are available for much less than Garmin GPS devices.

Moral of the story: Make sure you know your GPS device well, TEST it, always carry ducktape and a backup plan.
Good points. One little correction. From the iPhone 7 and up the iPhones are water- and dust proof. Depending on the models up to ip67 and some even ip68. Even the iphone 6 was waterproof though Apple never made any marketing fuss about it. They don't need a special case for waterproofing and such. The biggest disadvantage of iPhones and other brands in special rugged cases is they overheat in hot weather and the screen goes black. That's why I don't use the rugged cases which also seal in the screen.

Though my CAT s61 has a much longer battery life then my iPhone 8 I don't see that as a big issue because on most bikes you can just hook up a 12 volt or a usb connector. Though I have several rugged smartphones laying around (I get to test them) I've been riding mostly with my iPhones (including a Albania Rally Raid) and nowadays also with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active two.

None the less like you said...have a backup plan
0 x
El Lobo

Post by El Lobo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm

It is also possible to split a gpx file into smaller sizes so your GPS will accept it. I dont remember any more how I did it. One off my gps had some difficulties reading a big gpx file with plenty off data. It was TETFinland gpx track so I divided it up in 3 parts.
0 x
KTM 690 Enduro
jsocana

Post by jsocana » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:06 am

Gpx files are just text files so you can edit them and delete lines you dont want. Every line has information about latitude, longitud and elevation.
You can copy original file to another and "play" with last one. The only thing is to keep header lines in the new file.
Every line of data has a label that ends with same label; you must keep them.
Better to do this in a PC
0 x