GPS Units

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

trunkenpolz

Re: GPS Units

Post by trunkenpolz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Has anyone experience with the oregon series?
0 x
Vikingrider

Post by Vikingrider » Tue May 01, 2018 11:56 pm

After reading trough I am thinking a Garmin Montana 680t for TET use and the iPhone X in a waterproof case for road.
Maybe the iPhone with Gaia GPS or Scenic could also do the job.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sat May 05, 2018 6:13 am

I had a TomTom Rider 410 and now the 550, a Zumo 590, a Montana 680, a Tripy, Sonim and Cat S60 rugged phones and the best of them all... my waterproof iPhone 8 Plus which has the largest and best readable screen and just about any nav app you can choose and it is not even in a rugged case. Thunderstorms are not an issue. Modern high end smartphones are mostly ip67 dust and waterproof

Before I had an iPhone 6 mounted on my husky 701 and it had no problems on the many offroad trips even in the rain. Neither was the charging port a problem. Admittedly I do have the Montana 680 as a backup nav system mounted next to the smartphone. I do the navigating on the iPhone and use the Garmin zoomed out as an overview map.
0 x
papinou31

Post by papinou31 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:40 am

trunkenpolz wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm
Has anyone experience with the oregon series?
J'ai eu un Orégon 600 pendant 3 ans .
C'est un très bon GPS .
Le seul inconvénient,c'est l'alimentation sur la moto .
J'avais une alimentation directement branchée à la batterie . Mais avec les secousses en tout terrain,la prise USB se déconnectait de temps en temps et j'avais peur de casser la prise d'alimentation du GPS.

Sinon,c'est un très bon produit.

PS: Je suis passé au Montana 610 qui est super (avec le support alimenté)
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 am

I just tried a lot of different OSM maps on my Garmin 278 and none of them is satisfying me, mostly in case of visibility and how the typefile is written, leading to unwanted display effects.

As I'm in for TET sweden and norway in 3 weeks, I now want to go with my standard Garmin City Navigator 2008. Is here anyone who did this and can tell me if it is okay for my plan ? I have to break down the TET tracks to 500 waypoints each, so they will not have the same detail level any more. I don't really want to buy a new Garmin :(

@ Didado
I have two iPhone 5s left which I could stick into my roadbook holder. Which navigation app are you using and does it work without a SIM card then ?
Sounds like a great idea to have the iPhone on a detailled map setup whilst the garmin on the handlebar gives an overview.

Best, Martin
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am

*kartman* wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 am
I just tried a lot of different OSM maps on my Garmin 278 and none of them is satisfying me, mostly in case of visibility and how the typefile is written, leading to unwanted display effects.

As I'm in for TET sweden and norway in 3 weeks, I now want to go with my standard Garmin City Navigator 2008. Is here anyone who did this and can tell me if it is okay for my plan ? I have to break down the TET tracks to 500 waypoints each, so they will not have the same detail level any more. I don't really want to buy a new Garmin :(

@ Didado
I have two iPhone 5s left which I could stick into my roadbook holder. Which navigation app are you using and does it work without a SIM card then ?
Sounds like a great idea to have the iPhone on a detailled map setup whilst the garmin on the handlebar gives an overview.

Best, Martin
I use Galileo Pro. It is very simple and just shows the track in a color of your choosing on a vector based offline OSM map which is fast. Searching campgrounds, fuel stations etc is also very easy.

I believe it should work without a sim card but you will know the moment you download the app.

Do remember that an iPhone 5 is not waterproof. The iPhone 6 was not officially waterproof but I had no problems with it because in reality it was already 'waterresistant'.
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks Didado, I have a very tough case from a friend for the iPhone 5 so this should work. My 6s is just for personal use.
Galileo, Viewranger and Maps Me are on my list to give them a try this evening. Motion X and OSMand possibly out by now.

Does it also track navigation with hints or is it just "the red line" on the display ?
Is it easy to get the tracks into the phone ? So with this setup you are not using your standalone gps at all (except overview map) ?

For hiking and cycling I'm using the App "Alpenverein" from outdooractive and I do like it, possibly even this one is a good option.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed May 09, 2018 5:32 am

*kartman* wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am
Thanks Didado, I have a very tough case from a friend for the iPhone 5 so this should work. My 6s is just for personal use.
Galileo, Viewranger and Maps Me are on my list to give them a try this evening. Motion X and OSMand possibly out by now.

Does it also track navigation with hints or is it just "the red line" on the display ?
Is it easy to get the tracks into the phone ? So with this setup you are not using your standalone gps at all (except overview map) ?

For hiking and cycling I'm using the App "Alpenverein" from outdooractive and I do like it, possibly even this one is a good option.
Garmin is just for overview, an odometer and backup.

It is just the line on the map which is the way I like it. Very basic and getting gpx files into the app is basically the same for all the apps you mentioned. This could be via mail or via icloud or dropbox and then using the 'Share' button to 'copy to Galileo'.

Though Galileo can do voice navigation for routes (not tracks) I use the TomTom go mobile app when I travel by tarmac and want instructions. Off course that could be any app such as Waze etc. In other words I gave up on the the 'app that can do it all' such as OSMand or Scenic because I find them cluttered from complication.
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Wed May 09, 2018 6:44 am

If I had an Android device, I'd try the Locus Pro App, which even offers weather forecast (possibly within the map?).
Galileo doesn't look too bad, I tried it yesterday on my 6s. My 5s needs a reset and makes a bit of trouble at the moment.

I think I will go for CN 2013 on my 278 with shortened (less points) TET tracks and my 5s / Galileo on a GoPro mount near my roadbook in sight.
0 x
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am

I'm happy with the LocusMaps Pro app. Works for me.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II