GPS Units

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

GPS Units

Post by Redballrun » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Which of these shiny expensive units do I strap to handlebars and place my trust in?

You can throw a dart and pick at random or, if you're feeling sensible, you can see what other TET Riders recommend here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Transeu ... 911356921/
0 x
Linesman-A
Linesman

Garmin Devices

Post by Linesman-A » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Garmin offers a interesting range of GPS devices to be used on motorbike. And it is a lot up to personal preference and riding habits which devices are best choice. Likewise Zumo models are more for on street rides as Montana and GPS Map address the needs of offroad and rally riders better. But managing offroad tracks on a Zumo device works as well. My personal preference as Garmin Device definitely is the Montana Series. They aren´t exceptional in anything but good to use for everything.

What also has to be seen that rugged smart devices and good navigation apps are availble and for the price of a Garmin device a good rugged smart device is available. So personally I consider that these rugged devices will develop being the hardest competitors for Garmin, TomTom, etc. device. And also important to know, navigation devices such as Zumo, Montana, Oregon or GPS map aren´t Garmins core business - it is the sports devices.
0 x
Jakob
Discover the World on 2 Wheels

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
www.facebook.com/der.weinknecht
www.facebook.com/discover2wheels
Dadd

Re: GPS Units

Post by Dadd » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:53 pm

I've used off road the Montana 650t for three years now never thought of changing it as nothing is on the market better, on road I've used it less as I have the garmin 660 on a few occasions I've used it he two together,
0 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I also use the Garmin Montana 650t, both off-road and on road riding. With its excellant battery life have also used it as a GPS for walking. Have the Garmin Rugged mount on both bikes, so very easy to swap over.
It's very easy to use, can store many many trails, routes and simple to download gpx files, another advantage is the free maps online you can download.
Would I swap it NO. Great bit of kit!!
0 x
Daithi

Post by Daithi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 pm

The only weakness I have come across on the Montana is if there is a change in temperature or altitude in wet weather moisture gets inside the screen I've taken mine apart and dried it out twice and have since applied vacuum Grease to the rubber seal between the two halves of the casing in the hope this will fix the problem. My set up is: the dashboard set as "Nuvi" and orientation to "Track up" and mount it in the portrait position on your bars.... works for me.
0 x
Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:30 am

When this happens within warrenty time get the device replaced. I used screwing glue / silicone to get the device sealed again.
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:55 am

Choose smartphone devices such as Catphone S41, Jesy J7 and so on. They can staand same condition and falls like Garmin GPS devices to. So there is not general rule that smartphone aren´t a possible choice and replacement for garmin or tomtom devices. Same along some of these rugged devices also support glove ready touchscreens. But of course you need and have to choose a smartphone made for wet and harsh conditions. Looking a bit into future it is very likely tat these rugged devices will be the future as really good mapping apps are provided and the devices provide a much better and wider range of functonality.

Unfortunately the gps units aren´t Garmins core or main bussiness. These are clearly the activity and sports devices. The motorbike gps devices are more or less small variants of the marine and flight devices and so clearly are not a focused business of Garmin. Knowing this you also get the explanation which garmin devices are not "best in user interfaces and handling" as well have a very technical approach. It also gives and insight why Garmin does not focus on the trend to Android based rugged devices. They tried already 3-4 years ago and failed as they do not have competences in buildind smarthone.

So from an offroad riders perspective I see the move to rugged smartphones for offroad riding within the next three years and away from manufactures like Garmin. This is also driven by the trned of TFT displays on enduro bikes having a clever smartphone integration. Of course some models like Montana will survive for specific usages, but especially series like Zumo will be hardly effect by this trend.
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
dragos

Post by dragos » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 am

Linesman-A wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:55 am
Choose smartphone devices such as Catphone S41, Jesy J7 and so on. They can staand same condition and falls like Garmin GPS devices to. So there is not general rule that smartphone aren´t a possible choice and replacement for garmin or tomtom devices. Same along some of these rugged devices also support glove ready touchscreens. But of course you need and have to choose a smartphone made for wet and harsh conditions. Looking a bit into future it is very likely tat these rugged devices will be the future as really good mapping apps are provided and the devices provide a much better and wider range of functonality.
I agree with this.
The weak part of a rugged phone, right now, is the charging. USB connectors can't stand the vibrations too much (and are not waterproof).
However, more and more rugged phones with wireless charging are starting to pop up, and this IMO would make them a complete alternative to a stand-alone Garmin and its cradle.
https://www.toughgadget.com/best-rugged ... -unlocked/
http://www.techradar.com/news/best-rugg ... hones-2017
0 x
Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

The charging issue can essially solved using QI charging technology. Many devices already support QI, and for those who don´t check e.g. suppliers such as KW Mobile for fast easy and smooth adaption to QI (e.g. using this for my Sony Z5). The more "tricky" part is to add QI charging capabilities to the SmartPhone holder you use on your bike. I haven´t found one having QI on board and being for rugged conditions. So I modified a QI charging module myself to fit into a RAM Mount X-Grip.

Before having done the QI based solution I used a standard USB cable connector but used quite expensive USB connectors made by Cable Solution. The connectors are very precise and made of aluminimu, The plug has not a milimeter of movement in the phones connector. The solution worked so well that the phones connector plug surwived a years usage, Hellas Rally and Krka Raid and still has no damage. But even having this experience I still see the USB connector as the "weak" part.
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm

A thin charging pad you can integrated with a RAM Mount X-Group e.g.: A thin charging pad you can integrated with a RAM Mount X-Group e.g.: https://shop.mashable.com/sales/qi-wire ... arging-pad, but there are many others out around. And here an flat an simple QI Adapter that enables almost any SmartPhone with QI charging if it does not bring it by default: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ZBXL5YG
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me