Rugged Android Phones

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Paul C

Rugged Android Phones

Post by Paul C » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Although I managed fine with my Garmin in the summer I've decided to back that up with a "rugged" phone, as opposed to the standard one I kept in my pocket.
After much deliberation I decided on a Doogee S60. In spite of the name it seems pretty good. It's certainly solid. No need to carry a hammer, I'll just use the phone.
Next step was mounting. Not liking the look of the dedicated phone mounts I made my own which will utilise a RAM mount. It's not exactly an engineering masterpiece but it should do the job. Ignore the dodgy looking screen, I accidentally half peeled off the screen protector.

Last edited by Paul C on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
dragos

Re: Rugged Android Phones

Post by dragos » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am

Please keep us updated. I'm interested in this particular model as well, simply because it has wireless charging, so a setup can be made to charge it without cable on the bike.
0 x
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 am

So far testing is good. Decent in sunlight. Although I've set up a charging socket I've not used it yet as the battery lasts all day. I'm still tweaking the settings on LocusMaps to get it just as I want it. Pleased.
1 x
Just along for the ride.
jony#67

Post by jony#67 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Paul!

which wireless qi charger do you use on your charging socket? Can you give some insights how you set up the charging socket?
0 x
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I don't use the wireless charging option. Cable only so far.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Fri May 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Just an update on this. I've used it on average once every 10 days on either the CCM (for trails etc) or the GS (mainly road work). Plus a two+ week trip to the Dolomites and Slovenia, the RallyMoto Wales 500, the TET from Yorkshire to Wales, various rides doing the Round Britain Rally, a car trip to the Alps and when walking in various places. Probably the kiss of death but no issues so far. I'm now mostly using LocusMaps Pro plus Kurviger when I want it to plot an interesting road route. I don't think this model is available anymore but updated models are.
In the Peak District, England.
RallyMoto Wales 500
TET approaching the Welsh border.
Italy
0 x
Just along for the ride.
chrishimself

Post by chrishimself » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Ive just bought the Ulefone Armor X2 Outdoor becaues it was very cheap (95€).

On paper everything looks fine Im just a bit worried about the brightness of the display which isnt that good.

***UPDATE***

Dont buy this phone. Its the biggest crap in the world and the "support" lets you hanging big time.
0 x