Getting 610 to follow a route

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Norfolk Nick

Getting 610 to follow a route

Post by Norfolk Nick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

As predicted this idiot is proving an idiot-proof device incorrect.

So...

I've downloaded the OSM UK Routable map as advised.. from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
I've created a track using Basecamp..
Uploaded both to the device.
Selected the map and the track and it shows on the screen in blue.. (this might be purple as I'm colour blind and can't tell the difference, but I'm pretty sure it's blue)
I pressed "Go!"

The arrow (it was a motorbike but it looks like a Harley and that can F**K right off) moves along the track but I'm not getting any directions via the screen or the earpiece and if I go off route it's not warning me. I don't get the sense it's actually 'following' the route.. more just showing my current location.

Any help gratefully received.
0 x
Brian Eland

Re: Getting 610 to follow a route

Post by Brian Eland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:38 pm

i'm using a 600 here but i think the operating system is close to being the same.
press "where to"
scroll down to "Routes"
select your route whatever you called it (they will all be listed there)
it should now show a map view of your route on screen
then press "GO"
the screen will change to a navigation page and say calculating then should give you directions on screen

keep a eye open for Trans Euro Training for exactly this sort of thing coming soon ;)
0 x
Brian Eland.
About me www.facebook.com/brian.eland
TET Trans Euro Training
www.facebook.com/TransEuroTraning
Brian Eland Motorcycles.
@Brian Eland Motorcycles
Tyres, Tubes, Big Tanks, Handguards, Levers, Preparation. Guided Trail riding, Garmin GPS.
DiscoDean

Post by DiscoDean » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Sounds like from what you say... you made a Track - Tracks are not routable and will not give directions regardless of machine. A track is like breadcrumbs.... you follow it on the map. A route is a dynamic path that is aligned to the maps - with directions etc. You can create a Track or Route in Basecamp easily and you can take your current Track and convert it to a route also - BUT for it to be accurate you must have the map that you are routing to - in BOTH Basecamp and on hour device.
1 x
Henrikportugal

Post by Henrikportugal » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:41 pm

When you use a Track, then your gps doesn’t give you a turn direction, but only show the track on the screen. You have to look down and visually follow that track.

If you use waypoints, then your gps can give you turn directions, but it will keep on calculating the route in line with your setup. Like mainroad, motorways ect.

So a track is like it says, a forced selection of roads - but no directions.

A route is a connection of waypoints, calculated with the actual settings in your gps.
0 x
Marcel

Post by Marcel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

If you follow a track, there is no option to follow it as a routable route.
You can leave the track without warning.
But if you create a route, it will be routable like a normal navigation system.

I like the tracks, to find the right ways by myself,
With zooming in and out and have little stops for overviews.
0 x
Norfolk Nick

Post by Norfolk Nick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm

So am I right in saying that as the downloadable version of the TET comes in track form I'll need to convert it to a route in order that it can give me directions? Or are other riders just following this 'trail of breadcrumbs'?
Some folk are saying Routes are a pain in the ass as they re-route themselves, taking you "off-route" as it were...
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Norfolk Nick wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm
So am I right in saying that as the downloadable version of the TET comes in track form I'll need to convert it to a route in order that it can give me directions? Or are other riders just following this 'trail of breadcrumbs'?
Some folk are saying Routes are a pain in the ass as they re-route themselves, taking you "off-route" as it were...
Yup. The gpx download is a "Track". There is absolutely no need to convert it to a "Route".

See it as, in effect, a map of the TET and keep your cursor (you) on top of the wiggly line and that's all you need to do.

If you also have a basemap of the country that you are in loaded on your Garmin all the better. That will show the wiggly line (the "track") superimposed on recognisable cartographic/geographical features. If you need to duck off the wiggly line to left or right to get fuel or to avoid an obstruction, you cursor will show where you are on the basemap and you'll be able to wander off happily in the knowledge that the wiggly line is there to return to.

(The next stage on is to be able to use the "Where to?" feature on the Montana. Say you're running low on fuel, then you can find a petrol station near to wherever you are on the wiggly line. Click on "Where to?", then scroll down tis you find "Fuel Services" and click on that. Find the nearest one on the list (it usually gives them in order of increasing distance and the compass direction they are from you, highlight it and choose "Go". The Montana will then calculate a "route" to the petrol station along roads and lead you there. When you've fuelled up, use your finger on the screen to make a "pin" near the wiggly line, tap on the button with the three little horizontal lines at the top of the screen, choose one of the choices and then tap on "Go". The Montana then leads you back to there and you rejoin the wiggly line. At that point just "Stop navigation" and carry on along the "track" keeping your cursor (and thus you) on the wiggly line.)
3 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm

If the "Track" is difficult to see, find the "Track Manager" icon and then scroll tis you find the "track" you're on. Click on it and a further submenu appears. Choose "View Map", then click on "Go". The chosen track then becomes highlighted and is easier to see on the screen when you're busy with all the other tasks of riding.
1 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Brian Eland

Post by Brian Eland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Norfolk Nick wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm
it is possible to switch off "lock on road" on the GPS and then use the GPS in navigation mode to navigate between waypoints and this is the way I use my Montana GPS on the trails.
0 x
Brian Eland.
About me www.facebook.com/brian.eland
TET Trans Euro Training
www.facebook.com/TransEuroTraning
Brian Eland Motorcycles.
@Brian Eland Motorcycles
Tyres, Tubes, Big Tanks, Handguards, Levers, Preparation. Guided Trail riding, Garmin GPS.