Best way to navigate, track or route?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Phaedrus

Re: Best way to navigate, track or route?

Post by Phaedrus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm not sure I'm understanding the timings indicated on BaseCamp vs actual time.

For example, after converting the TET track into a route, BaseCamp lists the section of Portugal shown in the image below as being 507km distance and 28.5 hours duration - does this mean it'll take 28.5 hours to travel the 507km? That's 18kmh? Is this real? Or am I missing something?

Can someone who's ridden this section comment on whether 28.5 hours is actually how long it might take? Even allowing for the differences between an inexperienced putz on a too-big bike :uhoh vs a wizard on a perfect bike, it might be possible to make such a comment?

TIA. :handgestures-thumbup:

0 x
El Lobo

Post by El Lobo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 am

From my understanding with using track and garmin montana is that you can search for nearest fuelstaion for example and have the gps give you directions while your TET track shows in the background. When you found your fuel you just re follow that TET track.

Using Route I asume you will have to terminate that TET route when you need fuel and choose where is nearest fuel station. Find fuel and then make a route from where you are.

Correct me if I´m wrong...
0 x
KTM 690 Enduro
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 am

Phaedrus wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 pm
I'm not sure I'm understanding the timings indicated on BaseCamp vs actual time.

For example, after converting the TET track into a route, BaseCamp lists the section of Portugal shown in the image below as being 507km distance and 28.5 hours duration - does this mean it'll take 28.5 hours to travel the 507km? That's 18kmh? Is this real? Or am I missing something?

Can someone who's ridden this section comment on whether 28.5 hours is actually how long it might take? Even allowing for the differences between an inexperienced putz on a too-big bike :uhoh vs a wizard on a perfect bike, it might be possible to make such a comment?

TIA. :handgestures-thumbup:

It all depends on the map you are using in Basecamp. With the City Navigator maps Basecamp indeed calculates around 28 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it is accurate because this is a calculation based on the speed limits set on the digital maps. I believe I read somewhere that those off road speedlimits are about 30 km per hour.

When I calculate the same route on the MTB OSM maps it takes only about half the time.
0 x
El Lobo

Post by El Lobo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 am

You can choose from different vehicles in basecamp also. If you have a bicycle choosen that speed seems accurate.
0 x
KTM 690 Enduro
Mariner
Administrator

Post by Mariner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 am

El Lobo wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 am
You can choose from different vehicles in basecamp also. If you have a bicycle choosen that speed seems accurate.
In basecamp when you create a route it uses one of your activity profiles (the one that you have active that moment - ie motorcycling, car, dirt bike etc). In the options of each profile there are speed options for different kind of roads and the estimated time depends on that options. I don't know the PT TET but in Greece there are sections that you may have average speed less that 20kph
0 x
Not All Who Wander Are Lost..
- GR Linesman -

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)