Best way to navigate, track or route?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

trollbiker

Best way to navigate, track or route?

Post by trollbiker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm

What is the best way to navigate the tracks from downloaded GPX files from the website? I am using BaseCamp and I usually convert tracks to routes before I use them on my Garmin GPS. Should I use the tracks or is it any downside to convert to routes.

The routes converted from the tracks seems to be accurate.
0 x
Paul C

Re: Best way to navigate, track or route?

Post by Paul C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Routes are often recalculated by the device. If the track covers ground it doesn't think is a road it will reroute. Well, mine does!
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
trollbiker

Post by trollbiker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Probably the best is to upload the tracks also. Just to be safe. But my Garmin Navigator has the possibility to turn off rerouting/recalculation of the route. Using route I will get an ETA which can be nice. On my Navigator routes is far more visible on the map than tracks...
0 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

On the Garmin Montana, i Just select the track, show on map, change the colour if needed f have more than one track. Then with the map and track displayed just follow the track using a low scale. At junctions you may have to change the scale to see the correct way.
Sometimes a route will change and try to take you a different way, normally choosing a road in preference to a trail.
1 x
Dadd

Post by Dadd » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Keep it as a track as it will be mostly off road its difficult for osm to route on trails, as you said you could have two options and convert to a route as a back up just in case time is getting short if machanical problems or something
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 pm

If you look in track manager on a Montana and in the specific track choose "go to" the track is highlighted and becomes more visible
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 pm

If you want your vacation ruined use routes. If you want to follow the TET use a track :-)

I know because routes ruined my vacation partly in the Pyrenees. That's because no manufacturer, especially Garmin has a proper explanation of the huge difference between routes and tracks that us humans understand. It has little to do with recalculation on your Garmin devices. Even if you have Recalculation turned off it will calculate possibly a different route you made in Basecamp:

A route is a calculation based on official roads underlying a digital map. This calculation will be based on fastest, curviest, shortest etc in your device. You can have a perfect Basecamp off road route that's 293,56 km long based on a motorcycle profile in Basecamp. Then you load it to you Garmin device and in the Garmin preview it looks identical and it says 293,56 km. Then you say Go. It then Calculates (No not recalculate, but calculates) the fastest, the shortest or whatever you have your device set to. Suddenly your fantastic Basecamp route is 318,56 km and skips those offroad Routes you made in Basecamp?

How is that possible? You have identical maps in Basecamp and on your Garmin? You have recalculation turned off? You have set the profile in Basecamp very similar to that on you Garmin? What the f.ck is going on? Why is the damn thing not telling me to go left on that one particular gravel road? Why, why?

Forget routes with instructions... It will drive you mad.

Confused? Half the world is but just go to Garmin Basecamp and make a small Route. However set your profile to walking or hiking... Now use the Route tool and start your Route anywhere. Next, find a meadow, a river, a forest whatever and click in the middle of it where the map does not show a trail, road, bike path etc. Just watch what happens...

Yes Basecamp CALCULATES a ROUTE via ROADS. Yet you set your profile to Hiking or Walking and since when couldn't you walk through a meadow? Or swim across a lake etc? A Route always, always, always calculates via Roads that are on the digital map, always, always, always. A route can not walk, swim, paraglide, motorbike like a human. It must have those ROADS on the map! Your Garmin device, your TomTom and your nav app all do the same when it comes to Routes.

That's the reason to not use Routes if you want to follow a trail like the TET. You want to follow something that is not a calculation but an exact replica of the original trail:

Just follow a line on the map. It is called a track and is never calculated, recalculated, manipulated, sensitive to roads on the map, the type of map... It is just a line, nothing more, nothing less. Just follow the line and don't expect instructions...

I use the Route tool in Basecamp as a drawing tool that snaps to roads. This makes it really easy to draw a LINE on the map following roads whether they are paved, gravel, grass or whatever. As long as the map shows the goat trail as a trail, in other words an official 'road' on the digital map the tool will snap to it. If Garmin would only call it the Snap-to-Roads Line tool none of the confusion would exist.

When done, convert it to a Track and put the Track on your Garmin device. If you have something like a Zumo 590, you can have this Track 'Show On Map' (it is an actual option) as a line that never changes. The Garmin will show your position in relation to that line on the map. No more no less.

If you must. You can also get some unreliable Routing instructions by converting the Track to a Trip. This may give you fantastic nav instructions for 200 kilometers that match your track perfectly or no more then 5 kilometer because it runs into something where it want to give you the Fastest, shortest route whatever your Garmin is set to...

But that track, that line on the map on your Garmin device is still showing... When the Garmin says go left while the Track, the LINE on the map is going straight you just ignore the ROUTE instructions because the TRACK is always right:-)

Hope this helps because there's still so much confusion about the Routes and Tracks.
Last edited by Didado on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 am

I feel your pain matey. Just to add to the confusion in Spain numerous 'official' trails, even some 'roads', don't appear on either print maps from the Spanish Cartographic Institute IGN or thier digital offspring, which is what the Garmin maps are based on under license. And just to make matters worse the reverse is also true - trails that do appear on maps don't exist on the ground ...

Have you tried using tracks wit no map loaded at all - it works!

Regs

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am

I use tracks, I'm no expert on Basecamp or my Montana but it seems the easiest way to make it work.

To be honest with the Montana I feel like I bought a air liner so I could use the coffee machine inside it. I'm getting great coffee but it can do a lot more than that...
4 x
trollbiker

Post by trollbiker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Didado wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 pm
If you want your vacation ruined use routes. If you want to follow the TET use a track :-) ...
Thank you for a very very good explanation. This gives meaning to me and I will of course use tracks. If I plan a very nice route in BaseCamp on a map with all relevant details I will convert to track and upload to my GPS.

Your answer will for sure be helpful for a lot of bikers new to navigation and the TET :music-rockon:
1 x