TET .gpx Routes Editable?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Phaedrus

TET .gpx Routes Editable?

Post by Phaedrus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 am

Hi. Planning a trip around Spain & Portugal this year and will be doing some paved roads & some TET (where we plan to drop in & out of the TET).

If I download the .gpx files and open them in BaseCamp, will I be able to edit / crop / trim them, so I end up with new .gpx files for just the sections we plan to do?

I'll download and try for myself over the next few days, but can anyone state in advance that I can't edit / crop / trim TET .gpx routes?
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Re: TET .gpx Routes Editable?

Post by Redballrun » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 am

Hi Phaedras,
Yes you can edit, split and trim the gpx of the TET that you download. It's not locked in any way.
Have fun!
1 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Great! Thanks Redballrun. :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 am

Note that I'll be reviewing the TET twice this year, firstly at a distance based on feedback from riders who came here in 2017 and secondly after my own ride(s) in May.

Enjoy

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:

Downloaded Spain & Portugal. Chopped them into sections that meet up with paved road sections we hope to use as well.

The details of the TET tracks include data for distance travelled, average rolling speed, and elapsed riding times. Based on those times - and I could very easily be wrong - the total times seem to add up to more than the 8 days suggested for Portugal and 10 days for Spain?

No access to laptop / BaseCamp till later, but if I post questions this evening about distance and times for specific sections of TET Spain & Portugal, might some kind soul help me understand what I'm looking at?

TIA. :handgestures-thumbup:

Mark.
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Don't know about Portugal but you won't do Spain in 10 days. Please bear in mind tat then TET trails are not based on actual recordings from riders.

Regs

Simon
0 x

fulviapaulo
Linesman

Post by fulviapaulo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi!

8 days should be enough to do P TET if you have a steady rhythm, not necessarily a race rhythm though. If you're planning to skip some parts it's impossible to evaluate that...
0 x
2006 BMW GSA1200
2003 Yamaha TT600RE
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks guys. :handgestures-thumbup:

See preliminary route plan below - green sections TET, red sections road.

Roughly how long to do those green TET sections? Average riders, 1 x R1150GS & 1 x Super Tenere ( :facepalm yes, I know they're too big and we're idiots, but if any part of any TET section proves to be beyond us, we'll just bail out of the TET and hit paved roads).

Thanks again. :handgestures-thumbup:

0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:59 am

Well I can only speak for the red sections, Santander - Orense about a long day, but I'd do it in two and dally more around the Picos de Europa.

Your route from Tarifa to Granada is c***! To get away from the horrible cops road as soon as possible take the brilliant road from Algeciras up to Ronda and then head across country to Granada - a nice day's ride allowing for a quick blast around the Sierra de Grazalema roads.

You route on form there I can't se in detail but you have the right idea so allow two days for that back to Santander but once again I'd allow three and go via Burgos. From Logroño to Santander via Vittoria and Bilbao is effectively motorway all thew way ...

I don't know the TET section in southern Spain and there are a few glitches still to be sorted there - farmers planting orange groves across the trail, that sort of thing. But the landscape is mostly quite gentle so no big issues there for big bikes.

Regs

Simon
2 x

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks Simon. :bow-blue:

The more-or-less final route is now looking quite different - we're not riding from/to Santander, but rather we're back to our earlier plan of riding from Malaga across to Portugal, up to Picos, across to Pyrenees, and up through France.

So that route I have from Malaga to Tarifa is crap? Is that because the coast road itself is crap or because of passing through the lout-infested resorts? Call me nuts, but I fancy passing through the odd resorty-type place - it might do some folk there good to see a couple of touring bikes passing through, perhaps prompting the odd resort-guy to think about doing the same for himself in the future?

If it is because of either of those reasons, might we be better looking into roads that would broadly follow an inland route indicated by the black line in the 1st pic? I do understand this isn't "your" region of Spain. :handgestures-thumbup:

That section heading NW from the coast (2nd pic) looks like it should be fun - if we could find similar between Malaga and Ronda, that'd be worth looking at.

0 x