Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Didado wrote:
Schussboelie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 am

So with the above post you made me doubt myself, my friends would tell you that is no small feat by its own right. :lol
But, it turns out I was right al along.

Are you sure? I think you are just after the 100 euro's :-)

Honestly, I really, really want to give you the 100 euro's, or even 50 euro's for a half truth because that would mean a new way of navigating off road tracks.

I'm afraid it isn't going to work but let this quick and dirty video I just made proof it to you Image

I'm eagerly awaiting your proof so I can send you your 100 euro's :-)

By the way a Garmin Trip is a Route which is totally confusing
It’s been a while as I’ve been traveling but I finally got around to watching your video today.
There’s only one flaw in it but it’s a major one.
You assume the GPS simulation mode acts exactly the same as the device does in the field. But it doesn’t.
I did some filming of my own tonight (not easy with a cell phone on a moving bike) to prove my point.
Just need some time to edit and compile the final result.

Hang in there!
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 am

So crap, the offroad section wasn't filmed, will try again tomorrow.
But it works, try it.
You can even navigate to the beginning and it will work.
You can also start in the middle of the track (say after camping for the night) and it will work, as long as you stay on the trip.
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:22 pm

It's a really crappy video but you'll get the jest of it...
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am

So @Didado, what do you think?
0 x
User avatar
*kartman*
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:06 pm
Location: Cottbus, Germany
x 2

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by *kartman* » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

I finally found a great way to upload complete TET tracks to older Garmin GPS devices without having to shorten or convert them to be under 500 waypoints.
You can easily create a transparent overlay map using the free tool IMGfromGPX. You'll get the tool here: http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html
(German) manual: https://radreise-wiki.de/Transparente_K ... GPX-Tracks

Here is what it looks like on my Garmin 278. It's just the coloured track line and you can switch it on and off like a map. Not routable though. You can choose colours and appearance of the line when creating the "map".

Image

Best, Martin
0 x
User avatar
Didado
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:17 am
Location: Amsterdam
x 32

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Didado » Sat May 19, 2018 8:44 am

Schussboelie wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am
So @Didado, what do you think?

Hi Schussboelie, I some how missed your posts. I'm only seeing them now. It is not because I'm in hiding. I still want to give you the 100 euro's if you are right. I will deliver the 100 euro's in person :P

This is very interesting but stubborn as I am I still say you can't route an offroad track with instructions :-)

Your test is too short and you are riding on a unpaved trail and it is not giving you any useful instructions.

You are riding on Buskruitstreet which takes a sharp turn to the right. Your track however is going straight onto an unpaved trail. I assume you are using the City Nav map and that trail is not on that particular map yet the Zumo says leave the road and proceed to Gelderholsten. So it would seem you can get instructions off the road but your are not.

If you turn off the visible track so you can't see where the track might be going you would have to rely only on the navigation instructions. However, all you get is the instruction to leave the road and take a sharp left in 30 meters... You actually went straight because you are following an unpaved trail that you know well. You knew that that instruction means go straight on the unpaved trail.

But what if I gave you a track with a similar street like Buskruit that you didn't know and there is no unpaved trail to follow but just track through sand dunes or a meadow? What good is Leave the Road and take a 90 degree turn in 30 meters?

Next your Garmin says Go to Gelderhorsten street? That's useless. The track you loaded goes straight for 200 or 300 meters or so and then takes a sharp right following the trail to Gelderhorsten.

So why doesn't your Garmin say turn right in 200 meters? The reason is it can't give you instructions without road underlying on the map. If this was track in the desert with no roads saying Go To Gelderhorsten it would be just about meaningless.

And last but not least. Do test this beyond a couple of hundred meters over an established trail even though it is not on the map. I did a few similar tests on some very short trails that weren't on the City Navigator map and all seemed to work until it was more then just a few hundred meters.

Go follow a mtb single trail that is not on the map through the woods or drive a swerving single track through a meadow for kilometers. Then let me know if I can bring you 100 euro's in person :-) I so hope I'm wrong.
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Mon May 28, 2018 11:32 am

You're not completely wrong, but not completely right either. As I've said from my second post or so, you won't get navigation instructions on trails and paths that are unknown to the underlying map.
What I was trying to prove however is that you do get instructions on known sections AND you get things like ETA and Distance to destination, also on unknwon parts.
And it shows the route, even if you make the track invisible.
On unknown parts you would have to follow the line on the screen as you would when just riding on a track you've made visible.

As to trying this on longer and unfamiliar stretches, I drove the complete Warme Sjokotour like this, to get an idea of ETA and to have a thicker line on my screen rather than the thin track line.
Last edited by Schussboelie on Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Didado wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Just to make sure: I'm aware that the 590 has the option to turn a track into a trip (that's what Garmin calls it) but if there's a no road section in there it will calculate (no not recalculate) a route via the closest available routes.
This is NOT true, as my video shows.
Didado wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm
It will not give you offroad directions.
This IS true, as my video also shows. :)
And if you add some OSM maps, you can get a long way!
0 x
User avatar
Didado
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:17 am
Location: Amsterdam
x 32

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Didado » Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 am

Schussboelie wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm
Didado wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Just to make sure: I'm aware that the 590 has the option to turn a track into a trip (that's what Garmin calls it) but if there's a no road section in there it will calculate (no not recalculate) a route via the closest available routes.
This is NOT true, as my video shows.
If you say so. You'll find out sooner or later that it may seem to work but doesn't.
0 x
User avatar
Schussboelie
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm
Location: Lommel, BE
x 22

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Schussboelie » Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am

Didado wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 am
Schussboelie wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm
Didado wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Just to make sure: I'm aware that the 590 has the option to turn a track into a trip (that's what Garmin calls it) but if there's a no road section in there it will calculate (no not recalculate) a route via the closest available routes.
This is NOT true, as my video shows.
If you say so. You'll find out sooner or later that it may seem to work but doesn't.
Have YOU actually tried this? In the field (and not at your desk in GPS simulation mode)? Because I have, on more than one occasion...
0 x
Post Reply