Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Linesman-A
Linesman

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Linesman-A » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 am

When you use as tracks as tracks (e. g. like Montana, GPSMap 276Cx are able to) they work 100% regardless which maps you use or eve if you use maps. Only when you are trying to use nagivation functionalities like older Zumo apply by default to imported tracks you fail with non applying maps.

A track even worka without an map or fitting maps. I just like a painted lines across the maps not linked or related to any objects in the maps (in contrast to routes). So when you choose a mode, display a track as travel recording only (do not use any navigation functionality on the device), or using a device like Montana, GPSMAP 276Cx which have software designed for riding tracks, or use a Android device with e. g. Locus Map Pro or OSMAnd+ you will bd able to see a track on the display, follow this track when riding (because you simply see your position and where the track is going) regardless if you any or a proper fitting map.

A tracks when used in its original form is nothing mire like having drawn a lines on a map which can go across field, rivers, hills, whatever - and sometimes follow a road by coincidence. But it does not have any relation or link to thr maps data or objects. Any link happening is cause by software and activation of navigation functions only and will cause troubles if the software isn't acble to apply the - technically to a route converted - track. Therefore use tgem in display (travel recording visibility on) only and yes I suggested to use devices which are made for or capable of track displaying. Unfortunately old Zumo are not best for this kind of application.
0 x
Jakob
Discover the World on 2 Wheels

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
www.facebook.com/der.weinknecht
www.facebook.com/discover2wheels
harryphel

Post by harryphel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 am

Great thread and explanation on the differences. I think it's helping me finally understand :)

A question please. Ive got a Montana 610.

Is it possible when I load the gpxtrack on the device to then follow instructions on how to get to the start of that track?? I've also got City Navigator installed on the Montana along with GB discovery mapping. As you said though when I'm navigating a track I really only want to see minimal information so I really just follow the line. It's fairly obvious on the trails when it wants you to turn etc.

What I struggle with though is that I normally load gpx tracks into the until and then just want to follow them but I struggle to find the starting point of the track.

best wishes. Harry.
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am

Hi Harry,
Load the track and make sure it appears on the map. Then place a waypoint at the point you want to join the track. Save it and then "go to" that way point. The Montana will route you there. When you arrive just stop navigation
1 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
harryphel

Post by harryphel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

Redballrun wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am
Hi Harry,
Load the track and make sure it appears on the map. Then place a waypoint at the point you want to join the track. Save it and then "go to" that way point. The Montana will route you there. When you arrive just stop navigation
Brilliant! Thanks for that I'll give it a try. :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Stefan H wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm
Struggeling with getting the trail in to my gps. Is it easier to get it in to my android smartphone instead. What app is the best for my phone for gps?
Why should it be so complicated to get in gpx files to my garmin. It has to be converted. The software to convert with need a special type of jawa software that is not working in my computor with 64 bit windows. I hate this kind of stupid dilemmas. I rather travel with a map or do I need to buy a 600 euro GPS. My old Nuvi works good when it comes to traditional wayfinding. Why is not the files that TET is supplying in the right format from beginning?
My Garmin is Nuvi550
Hi stefan,
I've just come across this on ADVrider: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/u ... s.1186658/
It may help or may just be the java issue you were talking about
all the best
John
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Redballrun wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm
Stefan H wrote:
The software to convert with need a special type of jawa software that is not working in my computor with 64 bit windows.
It may help or may just be the java issue you were talking about
It's JaVaWa software, great and simple tools (developed by a Dutchman) to optimise the use of your Garmin device.
The tool you mentioned actually creates a map with the track on it after which you can load this map on your GPS device but than you use the functionality of the standard map.
It's a work-around at best.
Stefan H wrote:
Why is not the files that TET is supplying in the right format from beginning?
In all honesty Stefan, I kind of resent your above statement.
You blame the TET organisation for not providing you with the proper files while it's clearly your device that is causing the issues here.
The Garmin Nuvi series were never intended for motorcycle use.
The Garmin Nuvi series were definitely never intended for offroad use.
And really, throughout the whole array of navigation tools and formats, there is no real alternative to properly share off-road "routes" than a track in .gpx format.

Your point of view is just wrong, get a new device or use your smartphone but don't blame others for the fact that your device does not do what you want it to do when it can't actually do what you want it to do.
0 x
ndwedwe

Post by ndwedwe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am

as far as Garmin goes, they were leaders in the market up until about 8-10 years ago when they pushed things too far and replaced functional units with silly gadgets which were marketed or sold as replacements for units such as the famous 276. the newer flood of zumos and such were all road based and did not work correctly with tracks, they would convert a track into a route and force it to follow whatever roads were on the units map.
so to start, your route looks pretty much like the track and you start your adventure and it all works well and better than the old units as you get proper navigation prompts.
then you dash off up a side road for petrol, photo, beer/lunch, fag or you missed the turn and it re-routes you and stuffs up your planned route. sometimes without knowing as the change is still 10km away and misses out the mountain road and puts you on a toll motorway.

my advise is to get a unit that only works with tracks (phone apps do this to) and carry another unit that can navigate you nicely on roads if you need it (phone apps do this to). you also need mapsource or basecamp to create, edit, cut, join, convert tracks/routes. these are skills you need before you can accuse anyone of sending you the wrong format.
0 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

ndwedwe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am
the newer flood of zumos and such were all road based and did not work correctly with tracks, they would convert a track into a route and force it to follow whatever roads were on the units map.
so to start, your route looks pretty much like the track and you start your adventure and it all works well and better than the old units as you get proper navigation prompts.
then you dash off up a side road for petrol, photo, beer/lunch, fag or you missed the turn and it re-routes you and stuffs up your planned route. sometimes without knowing as the change is still 10km away and misses out the mountain road and puts you on a toll motorway.
Please define "newer".
A recent Zumo (345, 390, 590, 595) does NOT convert a track into route.
It only does that when you specifically tell it to.
ndwedwe wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 am
my advise is to get a unit that only works with tracks (phone apps do this to) and carry another unit that can navigate you nicely on roads if you need it (phone apps do this to). you also need mapsource or basecamp to create, edit, cut, join, convert tracks/routes. these are skills you need before you can accuse anyone of sending you the wrong format.
A Recent Zumo can do all that. A Nuvi however clearly can't.
0 x
ndwedwe

Post by ndwedwe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

in context i was talking of the 276
2 different "newer" garmin products i have bought over the last 6 years have ruined 2 trips, one quite badly when I was leading 4 other riders down into the old Transkei on the east coast of South Africa when on day 3, after struggling to keep it on course the whole trip (i had to reload the route each time it went haywire and tried to take us somewhere else!) it packed in, boom, it just went blank. no water or bad wiring, it was defective software (agent feedback). the other was a family trip in europe 3 years ago with a new machine i had bought for the purpose. day 4 after messing up our day and making us drive 200km off course (everything was carefully planned beforehand on basecamp and broken into day trips) it went in the cubby hole where it still is. i should throw it away as ive never used it since.
and it's not because i am not competent, i make a living out of working with GPS signals, the garmin devices were less than competent for the job they were sold to me for.
the only garmin i will use now is my trusty 276C, it comes with me on all my africa trips.
everything else is on apple products here in europe.
i have bought an enduristan tank bag and it takes an ipad on the top, am excited to try this on my next trip instead of a phone mounted on the bars
0 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 am

Sorry for your issues man...

ndwedwe wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm
i have bought an enduristan tank bag
Now there's a great product!!
1 x