Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Stefan H

Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Stefan H » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Struggeling with getting the trail in to my gps. Is it easier to get it in to my android smartphone instead. What app is the best for my phone for gps?
Why should it be so complicated to get in gpx files to my garmin. It has to be converted. The software to convert with need a special type of jawa software that is not working in my computor with 64 bit windows. I hate this kind of stupid dilemmas. I rather travel with a map or do I need to buy a 600 euro GPS. My old Nuvi works good when it comes to traditional wayfinding. Why is not the files that TET is supplying in the right format from beginning?
My Garmin is Nuvi550
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Re: Trying to set up maps on old Garmin without success.

Post by Redballrun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm

So the questions that need asking are:

A. Can I load an off-road gpx track to a nuvi 550?
B. If yes, how do I do it?

If the answer to A. is "No" then you have a choice:
Either use a phone using an app that you can choose from the threads above.
Or buy a Garmin unit that can be used off-road (Eyre, Oregon, Montana, zumo, 276 etc)
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Unfortunately Garmin devices are very different when it come to the topic on how they can work with tracks. Generally three different generations/groups can be distungished. Before describing them a general understanding what is the difference between a track and route needs to be understood.

Tracks:
Tracks is nothing more or less as a list of (recorded or generated) waypoints put into a direction sequence. They do not have any relation of connection to a specific map or objects on a mal such as address, roads, villages, whatever. A track and and exists without any map. You can used and follow a track even without any map on a device. Garmin devices such as very simple etrex are more or less used for tracking information without any maps.

Most device are able of displaying tracks on a GPS display as a line which connects the dots. Almost every garmin device, except Montana, GPSMap 265 Cx and Oregon, convert a track into a route when you want to navigate them. This drives you quickly into trouble when it is about offroad tracks not always following known or roads know by your used maps.

Technically the device reduces thracks to about 30 to 50 wayspoints (depending on your gps models) and runs a route calculation. So as well your route settings as the active map will influence the result and can (or even will be) different to the track used as bases. To make a long story short, offroad tracks are not made for running them based on active navigation!

Alternatively tracks can be managed within the travel or track recording. There you can choose if a track or recording is displayed on the screen. Unfortunately - again except Montana, GPSMAP 265 Cx and Oregon, the recorded track line is display with a very small width and therefore not that good to see. But it is the only way to see a track as it is on most Garmin devices.

Routes are again (few) waypoints which resiede on routeable map objects connected by direction vectors. The device uses the map information to caculate routing segment between each map points based on the wayponts placed on rountable obects. To the route result is always drive by your routing settings AND your current used map. Chainging settings or map will leas to different routing results.

Also consider that the map designer himself - especially when use free maps from the internet - may have design some road objects, even when they look normla o the map display on the device or computer - as non routable. Here a simple example. Maps for bycycle or MTB riders often have a road setting where major roads (and highways) are defined as not routable to ensure that they will not drive on them even using much simple garmin devices not capable of different routnig settings. Same you will find in many hiking or horse riding maps. Here they only way to figure this out is to read the map descriptions provided on the webpages carefully.

First group are Zumo 220, 550 and 660 (= BMW Navigator IV). They were not really made for traveling based on tracks. The only way to use tracks is to tranfer them to the device, import the travel/track recording (not as route, but as travel recording) and than turn them (travel recording) visible. As thsese devices have quite low limitation in the number of point allowed within a recording also might face problems when putting larger parts of the TET on the device at the same time. Depending on the model consider a limit of about 2.000 points in total for an active recording. So my suggestion clearly is to split the TET trail gpx into at least segement each below 2.000 points or even better split the TET track into your planned daily segments which are normally below 2.000 points and transfer the segment file seperated to your deivce.

Next group are the newer Zumo models such as 34x, 39x, 59x (BMW Navigator V, VI). From a handling perspective they are much likely same to prioir Zumo. Main difference that you can turn on/off the visibility of each recording/segment seperatly and also define the track diplaying color. Unfortunately the line width isn´t really good for easy to see visualization. Another difference is in the number of point an active track can have. Again depending on model this could be up to arpund 5.000 points.

Last group are mapping devices such as Montana, GPSMap 276Cx, Oregon and yes some good old onces of Garmin. They have the functionality to choose a track as a where to go location. This will result in display the track like a route without calculation a route in the background. So you will see the track in strong magenta colour, even some information like "when to arrive, etc. are calculated on current speeds basis). This is very comfortable to see if you are "on track". Additionally these device provide the same track display functionality like second Zumo group. So when it come to garmin devices and riding on track base these group of device is my personal preference. Last but not least the transfer process on these devices is much easier as you never need to import transferred GPX tracks (routes or waypoint) after transfer to the device. They are just available after you have transferred them.

If you do not have a garmin device of the last group and thinking now of getting such I personally would suggest you to also consider a rugged android device (whcih you even can buy for less money than a Garmin Montana) and use an app like locus map pro as this solution will even provide more flexibility like garmin or tomtom devices do today and offer a wider range of functionality at the same time.
4 x
Jakob
Discover the World on 2 Wheels

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
www.facebook.com/der.weinknecht
www.facebook.com/discover2wheels
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am

What a phenomenal reply - thanks! :)

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:07 am

Simon_100 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am
I am using Garmin devices since 2002, started with the Garmin Street Pilot III deluxe and etrex 20. I am also doing training on how to use garmin devices to motorcycle dealers and Touratech. So yes I have some insights and experience which I of course share. So when you are in need for information, help and advice - feel free to drop your posts here. Sometime it might take some days till I reply due to work, but I always try to provide all relevant information.
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:38 am

Linesman-A wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:07 am
Simon_100 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 am
I am using Garmin devices since 2002, started with the Garmin Street Pilot III deluxe and etrex 20. I am also doing training on how to use garmin devices to motorcycle dealers and Touratech. So yes I have some insights and experience which I of course share. So when you are in need for information, help and advice - feel free to drop your posts here. Sometime it might take some days till I reply due to work, but I always try to provide all relevant information.
Thanks, will do. I use a GPS62 and am 'self-taught' that is to say I never read the instructions! But I get by ...

Regs

Simon
0 x

Paul C

Post by Paul C » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 am

I used a Nav V in Spain just following the track. I used this simply because it was fitted to my other bike and just a new cradle was needed. As they were available I had the local Topo maps too. I agree with the comments above about the track width. When combined with the Topo maps it was sometimes difficult to make out on the move. In addition the map didn't show many trails so at forks a bit of care was needed to avoid a turn back. However, this was rare. I also had the track on my android phone as backup. I used OsmAnd which was fine. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for a rugged Android phone like those from AGM.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am

Super informative reply, Jakob. Thankyou!

The original post asked about the Nuvi 550. How does that fit into the scheme of things?
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

Linesman-A
Linesman

Post by Linesman-A » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Redballrun wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am
The original post asked about the Nuvi 550. How does that fit into the scheme of things?
I have never used a Nüvi myself on a motorbike. By from my understanding Nüvi 550 and Zumo 550 are quite closed when it is about the devices software. Therefore you should consider the input given to the Zumo 550. But have in mind I haven´t made any personal experience with Nüvi 550, in contrast to Zumos where I used different models in the past.
1 x
Jakob

TET Linesmen Austria
a@transeurotrail.org
www.transeurotrail.org

more about me
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 am

Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 am
I used a Nav V in Spain just following the track. I used this simply because it was fitted to my other bike and just a new cradle was needed. As they were available I had the local Topo maps too. I agree with the comments above about the track width. When combined with the Topo maps it was sometimes difficult to make out on the move. In addition the map didn't show many trails so at forks a bit of care was needed to avoid a turn back. However, this was rare. I also had the track on my android phone as backup. I used OsmAnd which was fine. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably go for a rugged Android phone like those from AGM.
Hi Paul, that's a common problem in Spain where tracks that exist on the ground aren't mapped into the 'master' national cartographic database, hence on to all digital maps that derive from the this - and the reverse!

Regs

Simon
0 x