How to change driving direction of a downloaded TET track

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

KTMDUTCH

How to change driving direction of a downloaded TET track

Post by KTMDUTCH » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

Hello,

Can anybody help me. I want to change de driving direction of a downloaded TET track?
Can i do that on my TOMTOM Rider550? What do i have to do?
0 x
Didado

Re: How to change driving direction of a downloaded TET track

Post by Didado » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:39 am

The TomTom Rider is not really suitable for offroad tracks. TomTom will give you nav instructions as long the track follows an official road on the digital map. As soon as the track follows a goat trail that is not on the digital map it will recalculate a route that follows roads and not the TET.

Since your nickname is KTMDUTCH I assume you are Dutch. So for example if you ride the TET in Brabant your TomTom rider will give you mostly the right instructions because the Dutch TET follows official roads. Just because they are sandy you're are not riding Off The Road but the general term offroad which means it doesn't have a hard top surface :-) In Brabant those sandy tracks are roads with official streetnames. In other words you are riding OnRoad with an unpaved surface.

To properly navigate the TET or any other track riders load the TET track onto a device such as a Garmin or one of the zillion apps for smartphones. The track is then shown as a line on the map. There are no nav instructions. You just keep looking down to see if your position on the map is following that totally inert, static TET trackline. TomTom's don't have the feature 'show track on map'.

However, you can reverse any GPX track (which is turned into a route) that you uploaded to TomTom MyDrive very easily. Just edit the route in MyDrive. A TomTom popup appears with a field listing start and finish. Click on the little arrows to the right of the start and the route will reverse. It won't however help you riding the TET off the road :-)

If you want to try a smartphone app Guru maps is good start. It is super simple compared to the very popular OSMand which requires a weeks holiday to learn. If you want many features like OSMand but easier you can try Locus Map which is much easier to learn than OSMand. Disadvantage, it is only available for Android.
Last edited by Didado on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KTMDUTCH

Post by KTMDUTCH » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Thanks for your answer. I managed to reverse the track and edit it much as possible similar tot the TET track. Where i had problems was when there were no official roads. Like you said. Thanks for you answer. I wil look for a better offroad navigation app
0 x
jsocana

Post by jsocana » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 am

KTMDUTCH wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:41 pm
Thanks for your answer. I managed to reverse the track and edit it much as possible similar tot the TET track. Where i had problems was when there were no official roads. Like you said. Thanks for you answer. I wil look for a better offroad navigation app
HI KTMDUTCH.

You can reverse a track in gpsvisualizer.com; just go to convert and upload the GPX file; there you have a lot of options, one of them (in advanced options) is to reverse the track.

Cheers.
José.
0 x