Clothing and such.

Clothing, protection and getting yourself ready for your TET adventure

Moderator: Spietfriek

Paul C

Clothing and such.

Post by Paul C » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Just thought I'd put down a few notes about what clothing I wore on the bike in Spain in September.

Klim Badlands jacket.
Sufficient armour. Waterproof. Well vented. No issues.

Klim Overland trousers.
Waterproof. Well vented. I think inadequate armour for trails. No issues.

Knox Defender armoured shorts. Forcefield armoured knee tubes.
Probably not necessary but they gave me peace of mind. This all fitted comfortably under the Klim trousers with the standard armour left in. I didn't use these on days I knew I was road riding. They easily fitted into a small drybag I just strapped on. Didn't notice I was wearing them on the days I did. Just a precautionary wash after 10 days.

Sidi Crossfire SRS boots with the soles with decent grip. Excellent.

BMW GS and Lindstrand summer gloves. I swap between the two a couple of times a day. Different seam locations appears to reduce potential pressure points.

Shark Evoline 2 helmet. I tend towards an open face helmet when riding off road in the summer. I generally use a BMW Airflow because it does what it says on the tin. However, for this trip I wanted a bit more protection, mainly for road riding. I think the Shark is a good compromise with the flipover chin piece. Decent sun visor, quite well vented. I've tried peaked helmets, I just don't like them that much. The Shark is my default winter helmet when I'm doing mixed riding.

Safety glasses. A pair of clear and tinted. I don't like goggles. Did the job.

Merino wool t shirt and undies. Washed in the bottom of the shower every day. Excellent.

Kreiga hydration backpack. Excellent.

The helmet has a Sena SMH10 intercom fitted. Really useful for the first half of the trip when I was riding with a friend. We both had the Sena fitted. It just helped to compare thoughts on the route, point out things of interest etc. Additionally it's good when you're following someone and they swear as it's advance warning.

All that being said I bought nothing new for this trip. It is all kit I use anyway. I guess that's what most of us do?
3 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
*kartman*

Re: Clothing and such.

Post by *kartman* » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am

How do the others here wear their protection ? I have an Ortema safety jacket + chest protector plate for riding offroad. I can imagine it to be a bit "too much" and bulky sometimes when riding for about 4 weeks. And also those garments tend to smell really fast :uhoh How do you do it ? Sure my normal motorcycle jacket has pockets to fit the protectors in it, but the pocket for the back protector is just way to small. Maybe it's a good idea to give it to a tailor to fit the full-size ortema back protector. I then would just have the bike jacket and could wear a merino shirt underneath :confusion-scratchheadblue:
0 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

I wear a Dainese protection vest under my KTM Rallye jacket with all the protection taken out.
When too hot loose the jacket and change for a shirt or something.
When too cold just add a layer over or under the vest.
It takes a few days to get used to but after that I had no issues on a three week trip...
1 x
Blue(UK)

Post by Blue(UK) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am
How do the others here wear their protection ? I have an Ortema safety jacket + chest protector plate for riding offroad. I can imagine it to be a bit "too much" and bulky sometimes when riding for about 4 weeks. And also those garments tend to smell really fast :uhoh How do you do it ? Sure my normal motorcycle jacket has pockets to fit the protectors in it, but the pocket for the back protector is just way to small. Maybe it's a good idea to give it to a tailor to fit the full-size ortema back protector. I then would just have the bike jacket and could wear a merino shirt underneath :confusion-scratchheadblue:
Layers ofquick drying clothing.
Next time I’ll be trying;
wicking top (quick dry) X 3
Avade heated shirt (quick dry) saves on lots of layers.
Forcefield armour (quick dry)
Mx jersey (quick dry)
Either Klim jacket or army goretex jacket(most likely).
Forcefield leg armour (maybe)
Goretex overtrousers.
Walking socks (quick dry) or seal skins for wet days (these stink and take ages to dry).
Swimming trunks (quick dry) X 3

Quick dry zip off walking trousers.
Quick dry shirt.
Sandals
Walking trainers/boots (if the shit hits the fan and I have to walk out for help).
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm

I´m used to this layering system for years now, at least offroad. So do you wash your quick drying stuff often to reduce the odor or use any desinfection spray or .. or ... ?
0 x
Blue(UK)

Post by Blue(UK) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm
I´m used to this layering system for years now, at least offroad. So do you wash your quick drying stuff often to reduce the odor or use any desinfection spray or .. or ... ?
Ha, depends on the facilities.
If wild camping then if you ain’t by a river or lake you can’t freshen up nor clean your clothes with the water(obviously don’t use detergents due to fish,etc). Use baby wipes to clean yourself.
Each few days or so, get into a BnB and use the opportunity to clean everything including yourself. Shower in the morning before setting off and use deodorant.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:04 am

*kartman* wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm
I use to ride alone because no one wanted to be in my vicinity until I dropped everything cotton and switched to Merino underlayers. Now I have so many friends :teasing-neener:
0 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am
I stay away from protector jackets exactly for this reason. I do have the Ortema chest protector but I use it with a separate backprotector.
I'm thinking of getting the https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx ... -protector exactly because it's not a textile vest and it's designed to go over whatever base layers you wear (in my case, merino).
1 x
Pingvin

Post by Pingvin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 am

dragos wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm
I'm thinking of getting the https://www.alpinestars.com/products/mx ... -protector exactly because it's not a textile vest and it's designed to go over whatever base layers you wear (in my case, merino).
Got that A-10 protector for my Namibia trip last year, have a Spidi Warrior pressure suit which I really like but the A-10 is better ventilated. Added kidney belt with lower back protection as the A-10 do not extend all the way down, welcome back support anyway. Worked very well in African heat so recommend though guess slightly less protective than some of the baddest pressure suits. Obviously also means wearing elbow guards (Leatt in my case).

Not thought of A-10 as an under jacket alternative but maybe good idea, adds flexibility riding without jacket on those hot days of technical riding.

For trips in "normal" climate, I use Badlands with protectors in and feel fairly well protected, though not as well as with a pressure suit, especially for chest.
0 x
2010 KTM 990 SMR - 2008 KTM 690 Enduro - 2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
dragos

Post by dragos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am

Pingvin wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 am
For trips in "normal" climate, I use Badlands with protectors in and feel fairly well protected, though not as well as with a pressure suit, especially for chest.
Good chest protection is a must in my book. In fact, my main problem with the A10 is exactly the small size of the chest protector.
0 x