KTM 790 Adventure

Choice and preparation

Moderator: Spietfriek

Dunarin

KTM 790 Adventure

Post by Dunarin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am

Hi all.

Looking for a bit of advice from those who have completed some of the TET. I have done plenty trail riding in the UK and some in Portugal.

Planning on taking the plunge and getting a KTM 790 Adventure when released next year and plan to do the TET bit by bit over next couple of years, not the extreme sections. My dilemma is which model, basic or the R model. Main difference between models is suspension travel, 200 v 240 mm, ground clearance 233 v 263 mm, heavier & adjustable forks on the R, 850 v 880 mm seat height. Lower seat height on the basic model would suit me better (5'9").

Overall the basic model would suit me better but don't want to sacrifice off road performance if that bit extra would be beneficial on the TET.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.....
0 x
Mourist

Re: KTM 790 Adventure

Post by Mourist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:14 pm

In the same boat as you are, as in I also want the 790 for TET, but will without a doubt opt for the R version. I'd be really disappointed if I came to a section where the bike was the limit and knowing it might be doable on the R.
0 x
tomasn

Post by tomasn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Buy not R version. Its better to reach ground with both feets, than have an extra clearance

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

0 x
Speedy

Post by Speedy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:37 pm

The bike is NEVER the real limit .
tracks like the TET have been made with all kinds of bikes in the past .
If I was you , would be looking to the smaller , lighter bike .
weight always wins over power .

just my 2 cents

bye Speedy
0 x
Dunarin

Post by Dunarin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for input guys.

Going along to Motorcycle Live at the NEC so will have a sit on both before final decision.

Cheers
0 x
Dunarin

Post by Dunarin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Update on my choice.

Having sat on & studied both models at the show, it was an easy choice - R Model. Can't quite flat foot it but with boots on should be close. The standard model is great but the R model appears so much more capable with longer, adjustable suspension & high fender.

Heading for Portugal in May to try her out on some of the TET so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers
0 x
Meetchee

Post by Meetchee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi guys, sorry Speedy but the bike CAN be a problem when it's heavy and powerful! Would you ride hard trails or single tracks with a 200kg bike? I know big bikes are in fashion at the moment but when I watch some of the TET videos, I keep on wondering why people ride these bikes. When I do long trips I usually ride alone, so I have no choice but riding a little 140kgs bike that's not powerful and that has real offroad abilities.
So Dunarin the choice is yours, you buy a big bike it will certainly be much nicer on the the road than my little CRF 250 L....
Hope I haven't offended any of you because after all, we live in a time where you can choose amongst a wide variety of models and the choice will always remain very personal of course.
Cheers everybody with big or small bikes, the important thing is the pleasure you take from riding, no matter which bike you have.
0 x
Speedy

Post by Speedy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi Meetchee
no offence at all .
just web chat ...
it happens that I do have 2 bikes , an BMW HP2 enduro , and Yamaha WR 450 .
last year we have done a nice part of TET , here in Italy , the western part , with some extras for friends,,,
VERY nice .
I have done it with the HP2 .
today I would probably do it with the WR 450 .
lighter , easier , not as fast and powerful , but I like to look around as well .
with the big bikes your alerts are always on , due to the inertia ,weight , and power involved .
big bikes win on strait roads and strait gravel .
loose on everything else , which is a lot .
0 x